Friday, January 28, 2011

BLACK SWAN


Last week I took myself off to Chaddy to see the much anticipated "Black Swan" directed by Darren Aronofsky. He also blessed us with "Requiem for a dream" (Jared Leto where the hell are you???!!!!) and "The Wrestler" . True to form it was a visual hurricane that was relentless in its pursuit. Thank you Darren!
It kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire 108 minutes. Natalie Portman is due EVERY accolade she receives this awards season. Besides the physical transformation into the swan; her emotional journey was thorough and enticing. From a shy perfectionist child who struggles to be heard into a scared parranoid mess.This is a journey no human would EVER want to take.
I also loved her co stars. Mila Kunis is the swan in the wings . She seemed to pirouette through this role effortlessly.Vincent Cassel is the ideal ballet director and the biggest twat tease Ive EVER seen. GRRRR!
Barbara Hershey's performance was the standout for me. She played Nina's persecutory stage mother.! Although a small role, we soon begin to realize the powerful effect of a mothers love . When you are good,you get a cake you not allowed eat. When you are bad,well you dont want to know. This is emotional abuse of the highest order. Poor little Nina trying to please Mommie Dearest by rigorous training sessions while her skin falls off.. Although when suceess is near; is made to feel guilty about it.
The point at which Nina starts to defy her mother,is the beginning of the end. We see her fragile psyche split in half.A rapid mental demise thats full of dark alleways,frenzied whispers and frightened stares.I bloody loved this movie even Winona Ryder.

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing this on my return to cinema's, from your insightful review jaxflix....also can't wait for smokin jax tomato's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here Here Jax! Just home from seeing Black Swan by D.A.(whom I adore and just broken up from his wife Rachel Weiss...) with two of my dearest..they were horrified...I LOVED it and YOUR review..Ps wish I had of seen it with you!xxLiv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and Ps..i would love to hook you up with a dear friend of mine living in Melb, Emily.. I KNOW you two will hit it off..We met at an Ashram, and have stayed dear, but distant friends...She is your age, and about to be in a play opening 11th Feb, Shadowlands,playing Joy Gresham..xx

    ReplyDelete