Tuesday, August 23, 2011

GOTYE-THE NEXT ONE MAN BAND.

Hello there.
Yes I know this is a movie blog but Im gonna break the rules today.
Today Im gonna talk about a very talented musician known as "Gotye".
A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine asked if I wanted to go to Sydney to see Gotye (still cant seem to pronounce it) at the Sydney Opera House.
It was his National release for his third album "Making Mirrors"
"Who?" I said.
He explained simply by showing me his latest film clip for "Somebody I used to know" (see video)
Sure I was mesmerized by the atypical visuals but more so by his piercing powerful voice. The film clip also features a brief cameo by the also talented New Zealand singer songwriter "Kimbra"
Its the sort of song you fall in love with on first impact and continue to play to death. I alledge I'm still not sick of it.
So off I went to Sydney with a vested interest.
I was NOT disappointed. Gotye's performances at the Sydney Opera House coincided with National Animation week.As an audience, we were not only treated to the magnificent sounds of Gotye but a large backdrop of animations that seemed to directly coincide with each song.
I was particularly moved by the animation for the song "Don't worry,we'll be watching you".
A young girl who is lost in the forest and like "Where the wild things are" finds her home again with the help of her forest friends.
Gotye writes beautiful lyrics. If he's not making us aware of the state of the planet in his first single "Eyes wide open". He sings earnestly about the dichotomy of Love. The harshness of a break up in "Somebody I used to know" and the gratitude of new love in both "I feel better" and "Save Me"
His unique voice is backed up by a tribute to music of generations past. His superb talent of sampling other work/artists creates a unique and enticing sound for the audience.
Like all great artists,one must have good people around them. Gotye is no exception.
With up to 15 equally talented souls on stage with him. He also notes the tremendous family support he receives. His Dad even doing the artwork for this latest album.
I was particularly fond of his three tracksuit clad backup male singers that were also able to kick some arse on their own individual instruments.
With that said and done, No Gotye= NO SHOW. A multi skilled lyricist,instrumentalist and singer got this once sad girl a tapping her feet to the beat.
For that Wally (his real name), I humbly Thankyou.xxx
His performance was worthy of the 5 minute standing ovation he received.

Buy his latest album "Making Mirrors" NOW
His other solo albums include "Like Drawing Blood", "Boardface" and Mixed Blood"
This magical man also manages to fit in time to play with a rockin band called The Basics.
CHECK THEM OUT TOO.


JAX

No comments:

Post a Comment