Wednesday, February 9, 2011

TIME FOR A TURKEY....EAT PRAY LOVE


"Eat Pray Love" is the movie in question. Sure I had been warned. Somehow I thought by the time it got to DVD, it wouldn't be so bad.
I was mistaken.
I,like the rest of the female race LOVED the book by Elizabeth Gilbert. It spoke of a freedom and mental stillness that had seemed elusive until now.
Gilbert explained her utopia as guilt free feeding sessions, endless meditation and most importantly falling in love with your soulmate.
Bring it on!
I received her words easily and gracefully.
It seems though that there is a big fucking difference between author of book and script consultant.
Gilbert where did you go? This was your life on the big screen and you didn't seem to raise your hand in protest once!!!???
Ryan Murphy isn't an idiot. This is the man behind "Running with Scissors" and more recently "Glee". Sure he provided us with a pumping soundtrack and colorful location shots.
This was NOT enough to sustain us for over 2 hours of otherwise visual and auditory torture.
The big problem with this movie is Julia Roberts. I can honestly say now her finest hour was playing a prostitute in "Pretty Woman".
Julia simply has no range as an actor. She came back from Maternity leave and was even more wooden. Julia seemed to be either welling up crocodile tears or looking downright stoned and confused. I cringed at this performance.
In Rome, the napoletana pizza outshone her. In Bali, you find it hard to believe that the sensuous Felippe (played orgasmically by Javier Bardem)would want to be anywhere near her. Why James Franco insisted she get up off the floor; I'll never know.
This casting was disastrous for the film. I would of preferred to see an ageing Michelle Pfeiffer.
There is one beautiful speech in the film delivered by meditation buddy "Richard" (played by Richard Jenkins) He relays the importance of forgiveness of self and others. Here is an actor who knows his craft and gives the words depth. He doesn't need bright lights and music for the message to be understood.
Julia, like Richard advises you in the film.To be free,we must forgive- I send you light and love and most importantly I let you go.... (Until I hear they've cast you in the sequel)

Jax






No comments:

Post a Comment